El Escorial: Full-Day Excursion and Cycle Tour from Madrid
We’ll visit the 16th-century Royal Monastery at San Lorenzo de El Escorial and cycle through the foothills of the Western Sierra Guadarrama on this full-day excursion. We'll also enjoy local specialties at lunch in the hillside village of Zarzalejo.
Are you a business owner in Madrid?
Promote your business 365 days a year with the #1 Guide to Madrid.
- Gain MAXIMUM EXPOSURE with a 'Dedicated Business Profile'
- Visit the 16th-century Royal Monastery of San Lorenzo de El Escorial
- Cycle in the wooded foothills of the western Sierra Guadarrama range
- Explore wooded country lanes, pastures and hillsides
- Enjoy regional specialties in a 3-course lunch at the hillside village of Zarzalejo
DescriptionWe’ll travel from Madrid by minibus to the hillside city of San Lorenzo de El Escorial, and begin our excursion with a visit to a 16th-century monastery founded by King Philipp II. You’ll also see the new art museum here that houses an outstanding collection of works of the Masters. On our cycling route we cover at least 30 km (20 miles), with a few uphill slopes. The route can be shortened or extended as necessary, depending on the overall ability level of the group. Following the monastery visit we begin our cycling tour with a climb up the wooded slopes that surround El Escorial, to the point where we reach a level track known as El Horizontal. From here you’ll enjoy excellent views of the monastery and of the skyline of Madrid. We continue our ride in the foothills of the imposing Abantos mountain peak, on level and gently downhill nature trails to King Phillip’s Seat. From this stop we continue riding through the shadows of the craggy Machota Mountains to the village of Zarzalejo, where we’ll rest and enjoy a typical 3-course lunch with drinks. After lunch we’ll continue riding, passing the village of Peralejo and ending with a final uphill climb back to El Escorial. When we’ve finished the tour, we’ll drive back to Madrid, where you’ll be given a CD photo album of your excursion!
IncludesTransportation by minibus to El Escorial and back to our office in Madrid 27-gear hybrid bikes, helmets and technical support Water and snacks Entrance fees for visits to the Royal Monastery, Pantheon and Library Guided cycling tour along the foothills of the western Sierra Guadarrama range Sit-down set menu lunch at Zarzalejo CD photo album presented at the end of the tour Additional food and beverages Gratuities
- On making your reservation, please provide detail of participants' heights, so that appropriate bikes can be selected. As an alternative for advanced cyclists only, Bravo Bike offers a tour starting from our office in Madrid (2166 feet/710 meters altitude) to El Escorial (3334 feet /1100 meters altitude), mostly on off-road tracks. The cycling route to El Escorial is 34 miles (55 kms) long and takes 4 to 5 hours, cycling over rolling terrain with some longer climbs. There is a stop for an excellent 3-course menu lunch in El Escorial. Our return journey is by train form El Escorial to Madrid’s Principe Pio station – a journey of one hour. We also can offer this tour the opposite way, cycling from El Escorial to Madrid. Weekend tours carry a supplement of € 10 per person. A minimum of 4 participants is required for this tour
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
You may also like
Toledo Cathedral from Madrid
Explore the majestic medieval architecture of Toledo on this trip from Madrid.5 ReviewsFrom €43.00
Wine Tasting Tours in Madrid
Enjoy combinations of tapas and wine in a wine bar, with a reserved atmosphere. Learn to drink and taste the wines of the region and distinguish colors and smell consultaFrom €86.00
2.5-Hour Street Art Private Walking Tour
Get to know Madrid's street art scene on this walking tour. With a guide, explore Lavapiés area and learn about the diversity of local street artists. See murals, graffi10 ReviewsFrom €18.40
Andalucia and Mediterranean Coast – 9-Day Tour from Madrid
Explore the Spanish region of Andalucia, touring beautiful and historical cities as you travel to the Mediterranean Coast, discovering Valencia, Barcelona, and excellentFrom €1,050.00
Prado Museum and El Retiro Park Guided Tour
Skip the line at the Prado Museum on a professional guided tour. Afterwards, enjoy a visit to popular El Retiro Park, and admire its scenic beauty.3 ReviewsFrom €42.00
Reina Sofia Museum Private Tour with Skip-the-Line
Discover works of Spanish artists Pablo Picasso, Joan Miro, and Salvador Dali, along with international artists Picabia, Man Ray, Cartier-Bresson, and Duchamp with your a1 ReviewsFrom €59.00
Prado Museum Skip-the-Line Guided Tour
Skip the long lines to the Prado Museum and see masterpieces of art by Rubens, Titian, Velázquez and others on a guided tour of the main art museum in Madrid.123 ReviewsFrom €37.00
Escorial & Valley of the Fallen 5-Hour Tour from Madrid
Travel to Escorial from Madrid for a tour of the Monastery of San Lorenzo de El Escorial and the historical royal monuments. You'll also visit the Valley of the Fallen, a9 ReviewsFrom €48.00
El Retiro Park Ninebot-Segway 2-Hour Private Tour
Get the most out of you time on this 2-hour tour and discover the most beautiful park in Madrid: El Retiro. Visit also places such as the Mayor Square, the cozy Literary7 ReviewsFrom €28.00
3.5-Hour Bus Tour with Royal Palace Admission
Learn about the history of Madrid on a comprehensive tour that includes a visit to the Royal Palace. Discover Madrid's Arabic origins and its Renaissance history and admi29 ReviewsFrom €45.00