Madrid: Prado & Reina Sofia Museum Skip-the-Line Guided Tour1 Reviews
With so much to do in Madrid, don’t waste a minute in lines or gawking at art without a clue of what it all means. This 5-hour combo tour of Madrid’s most visited museums will allow up to 8 guests to understand and enjoy both the Prado and Reina Sofia.
- Skip the long lines and go straight inside with a professional guide
- See all the most important art inside the Prado and Reina Sofia Museums
- Enjoy a 2.5-hour guided tour of the Prado Museum and a 2.5-hour guided tour of the Reina Sofia Museum
- Get close to some of Europe's most famous artists like Velázquez, Goya and Greco
- Discover the surprising shapes of Salvador Dali's and Pablo Picasso's paintings like 'Guernica'
DescriptionBegin at the Prado Museum, one of the most visited monuments in Madrid, and not just because of its breathtaking neoclassical facades. Built in the late 1700s, the Prado began showcasing art in the early 1800s. Predominantly featuring paintings, it also has sculptures and prints among thousands of works dating from the 1200s. The most famous pieces include “Las Meninas” (The Maids of Honor), an inventive self-portrait by Spanish-born Velázquez and “The Garden of Earthly Delights,” a triptych from Dutch painter Hieronymus Bosch. The Prado also houses the largest collection of Italian masterpieces outside of Italy, featuring works like “The Annunciation” by Fra Angelico and “David and Goliath” by Caravaggio. With your expert guide, you’ll hear all about the stories and scandals behind artists such as Goya, Rembrandt, El Greco and others. Next, enter the Reina Sofia Museum, housing one of the largest collections of modern and contemporary art in the world. In the 1990s, a former hospital was renovated and turned into the Reina Sofia, home to 20th century art mostly from Spanish artists. Your expert guide will discuss the various artistic movements on display here, including abstractionism, cubism, surrealism and modernism. You’ll learn all about Spain’s most famous artistic export, Pablo Picasso, while standing in front of his world-changing painting, “Guernica.” You’ll see works by Joan Miró, like “The Man with a Pipe,” as well as Salvador Dali’s “Face of the Great Masturbator,” learning about the techniques and stories behind these sometimes offbeat works of art. Your guide will situate all of these works in their larger social and political contexts, allowing you to understand how events like the Spanish Civil War shaped these artist lives and works. By the end, you’ll have experienced one of Spain’s, and the world’s, most exquisite collections of contemporary art, which no trip to Madrid should go without.
IncludesEntrance fees Tours available for wheelchair users by request Professional art historian local guide 2.5-hour tour of the Prado Museum in Madrid Lunch break 2.5-hour tour of the Reina Sofia Museum in Madrid Guaranteed to skip the long lines Private or small group guided tour options of no more than 8 participants Gratuities (optional) Temporary exhibits Hotel pick-up and drop-off Food and drinks
- For small group tours, a minimum of 2 guests will be required for it to run (an alternative date or full refund will be offered if the minimum is not met) • Tours for wheelchair users available on request
- The Prado Museum and Reina Sofia Museum Museum may be subject to occasional closures without previous warning from the museum management. When this occurs, guests will be provided with an appropriate alternative if the museum opening time is delayed more than 1-hour from the tour starting time. In these cases, the supplier is unable to provide refunds or discounts
- Appropriate dress will be required for entry into some sites on this tour
- No large bags or suitcases will be allowed inside the museum, only handbags or small thin backpacks will be allowed through security
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY