My Guide Website?
Madrid's Wines and Tabernas: A Self-Guided Audio Tour
On this self-guided audio tour savor the Literary Quarter's fine wines and tapas with an experienced winemaker. Experience the magic of GPS-playback on this immersive stroll through Madrid.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Madrid:If youʻre booking your trip to Madrid last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Drink in Madrid's finest hospitality
- Hear from producer, Context Travel's expert guide
- Do it all in 120 minutes or linger at stops along the way with complete control
- Get unlimited use of the tour before your booking date and after it
- Use the virtual tour option at home
DescriptionTaste classic Spanish wines paired with tapas on this walking tour through Madrid‘s Barrio de Las Letras (Literary Quarter) with Context Travel expert and experienced winemaker, Nicole Indovino. Starting in Plaza de las Cortes, you‘ll visit four of Madrid‘s traditional tabernas (taverns) as you wind your way through the Literary Quarter to La Venencia, one of Ernest Hemingway‘s former haunts, where our tour ends. Along the way, Nicole will share the history of winemaking in Spain, providing recommendations, context, and tasting notes for each glass you‘ll try. You‘ll have the chance to pair each wine with local specialties, from fried eggs to seafood to jamón ibérico (Iberian ham) to cheese and olives. Along the way, you‘ll: • Visit Casa Alberto to experience ‘la hora del Vermut‘ (Vermouth hour)” where you‘ll try their housemade vermouth paired with huevos rotos (fried eggs over crispy potato fries with jamón ibérico) • Pop into Casa González to taste a white wine from Galicia made from albariño grapes, which pairs beautifully with ‘berberechos al natural‘ (cockles in brine) • Pass by Lope de Vega‘s House Museum, the historical former home of the famed poet • Learn a bit about the over 5,000-year history of winemaking in Spain • Discover how regional differences in soil, temperature, and humidity impact wine • Taste the rich flavor of jamón ibérico, and learn the role of the master jamonero • Try a Ribera or Rioja wine (or both!) with a tortilla de patatas (a Spanish omelette) at Dis Tinto Taberna • Travel through time in La Venecia, an old sherry bar where you can try a jerez with salt-cured tuna or olives and manchego cheese • See the legacy of Spanish authors like Miguel de Cervantes and Lope de Vega who lived and worked in this neighborhood, in its monuments and place names • Walk through lively Spanish squares and boulevards including Plaza de Santa Ana, Paseo del Prado, and Plaza del Angel By the end of this leisurely self-paced tour, you‘ll have a deeper appreciation for Spanish winemaking and culinary traditions.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap app for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- The tour uses a mobile app. You will need to download the app and then use the voucher code provided to download the tour It is a self-guided audio tour that you can start, pause, or restart at any time and complete at your own pace You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It is best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point When the download is complete, you will see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point The tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next Please note that you'll need to use your own mobile device and headphones for this tour. The tour is only available in English.